Monday, October 5, 2015

Critical crafting



I am at Arrowmont, in Gatlinburg Tennessee, for the preconference intensive workshops. My worksho Is with Ann Norton. Last night we warped our frame looms. Today we will walk the streets of Gatlinburg and look for weaveable garbage, and cast off ephemera. 

I shared a shuttle yesterday with Namita Gupta Wiggers. She is the former director of the craft mueseum in Portland Oregan, founder of Critical Craft Forum, and the juror for the show Materialities, here at Arrowmont. Look her up. Her name pops right up in a Google search. I got to spend a lot of time with her yesterday. She is warm, funny, and curious. I had the privilege of walking the show with her and hearing her insights about the pieces she chose. 
In some ways this week is shaping up to be like a return to art school crossed with summer camp. I am in a three person room with a shared bath down the hall. My roommate is very nice and considerate. It is pretty quiet, even though the driveway empties out on the main strip in Gatlinburg. Last night I heard the town referee to as "hillbilly Las Vegas". One of the things I could do this week would be to watch a lumberjack competition. And drink moonshine. The moonshine store is right next to the candy shop. 
#arrowmont.

No comments: