Friday, August 16, 2013

A Gathering of Weavers

I had the wonderful opportunity of attending the Michigan League of Handweaver's conference in Holland Michigan this past weekend, as an instructor. I was only there on Sunday, but how I wish I could have been there for more days! This year the conference coincided with a family vacation and the wedding celebration of a close friend.

I taught a Rigid Heddle class. We used pick up sticks and supplemental wefts to create pulled resist patterns for dying a shibori fabric. A few of my students had a chance to apply the technique to polyester weft threads, there by creating permanently pleated fabric.

This conference is a great place to connect with other Michigan Weavers. During our class lunch break I made a beeline to the exhibit hall. There is a lot of really good contemporary work going on here in Michigan in the field of Fiber Art. Here are just a few pictures of a few of my favorite pieces:

 Jenny Schu You Can't See the Forest for the Trees, Double weave pick up and beaded leaves. An award winner. Jenny also entered a hand knit dress with beaded straps. They were talking about it over lunch. I hope I get to see it on her someday.

Joyce LaVasseur  Reflections in the Woods, Summer and Winter Pick up. Another award winner. One of a series of three. All stunning.


Jill Ault  Markings: Flush Transparent Quilt of hand dyed silk Organza

There were many more, beautiful and technically amazing works of art on display. It is great to see Fiber Art such as this on display. 

If you are a weaver, or would like to become one, consider joining the Michigan League of Handweavers as a source of support and inspiration. 

No comments: