Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Second project of 2013

This year, I am focusing on using yarn from my closet, aka stash, as inspiration for projects.
You might not be surprised to learn that I have quite a bit of yarn, in amounts large and small. Weaving is a great technique for using up smaller amounts of yarn, in combinations that can be surprising.
Pictured on this page is an untrue plaid scarf, inspired by yarn left over from a previous project. It is a rayon and silk blend, hand dyed by someone I met at the Third Coast fiber festival last September. I paired that with tsumugi silk from habu and, silk stainless steel, also from habu. I have been wanting to try weaving with the stainless for sometime now. A young lady name Audrey Chamberlain showed me a scarf that she used it in a few weeks ago. Intriguing!

I measured the warp in an asymmetrical, but balanced pattern, using the three types of yarn in the warp. The same yarns were used in the weft, attempting to weave different sections to "square" before changing yarn. That caused the little see through windows where the stainless crosses the stainless.
The drape and texture of the finished object was a pleasant surprise. Very soft, and it has a flow to it.

Another intention for this year is to have all of my looms warped most of the time. This week is warping week. The 8 harness Jane loom has just been warped for collapse scarves in Madeline Tosh Praire. The weft will be a hand spun over twisted silk.

Rigid heddle has just been warped with stash from my closet (mountain goat from mountain colors) for a brooks bouquet scarf.

Today I measured off a warp for an afghan for my my living room in chrome by yarn hollow, with brocade for the weft. You might not ever see me again once I finish this one, the yarns are soooo lux. Pictures to follow. Thanks for reading.



No comments: