Friday, February 24, 2012

Miura Cowl in Salem

Salem, from Mountain Meadow Wool, is creamy.  I can't stop comparing it to whipped cream. It is soft, lofty, and wrapped in a slender strand of shiny silk.

The loft comes from the woolen spun construction of bouncy merino wool. The shine of silk against the matte wool gives this yarn visual dimension.

Because of it's spongy bounciness, this DK weight yarn is happy at a variety of gauges.  An open lacey shawl on size 8 needles would feel great.

I decided to make the Miura Cowl by Olga Jazzy. I love the stand up structure of this pattern, and the simple application of knit-purl to create the textures and folds. To get the correct gauge I needed to use size 4 (US) needles. This gave a dense fabric - which turned out to be just right for the pattern.

You can find Salem at Woven Art. At the moment we only have it in cream. I mean natural. But if you all love it up enough I will get all the colors!
If you are curious about other Mountain Meadows Yarns, come to the Yarn Tasting on March 31. You will get 10 yard samples of several of the yarns, some pattern ideas, plus snacks and fun. I promise there will be high quality chocolate. Spots are limited so we are asking for reservations. Call 517-203-4467.

No comments: