Thursday, October 6, 2011

Occupy Our Needles

I am impressed by the Occupy Wall Street Movement, and I want to do something to show my support and gratitude. You may not have heard about it yet. It is a loosely organized group of people who have set up camp near Wall Street. The gathering is peaceful now, if a bit disruptive for the day to day business in the neighborhood. If you would like to find out more, I have a couple of links for you to try:
www.Occupytogether.org
www.adbusters.org/campaign/occupywallstreet

It is starting to get cold in New York, Chicago and Boston. Wouldn't it be nice for us to send them some hats? Can you think of a more personal way to say "Thank you"?  I hope to collect 99 hats and send them off before Thanksgiving.  It would be really grand if I could get 98 more yarn shops to join in.

If you would like to help with this effort, you can send or bring a handknit hat, pair of mittens or a scarf to
Woven Art
325B Grove St
East Lansing, MI 48823

If you have a favorite LYS near you, please feel free to encourage them  to participate in this effort. I have started a thread on the LYS group on Ravelry. 

This information will also be posted on the Woven Art wesite: www.yarnandfiberart.com

3 comments:

Steph said...

Awesome. I want to knit for the occupiers, too. We have to keep them warm and let them know they have our support. I found you through ravelry. I have a friend who is occupying (also a knitter) and she'd be more than happy to help distribute caps and mitts, whatever. Should we make a raevlry knitting group?

Nancy McRay said...

That is a great idea Steph! I could use a little help with organizing this and spreading the word. Would you've willing to start the revelry group?

Stephanie said...

http://3hourspast.com/occupy-our-needles/ I needed to make a landing page so I could publicize... Please chime in, we should keep in touch. I have a couple of contacts on the ground now, so I have addresses for you.