Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Wisdom from Mom

I spent some time this past weekend on Old Mission Peninsula with some of my family.  I was inspecting Mom and Dad's long deserted house. In their joint studio I found a couple of newspaper clippings taped to the wall. My guess is that Mom put them there. I so carefully peeled the crumbling yellow papers and put them in my wallet.  Still, they are falling apart. So I am putting them here.

The first one:
An English newspaper asked its readers this question: "Who are the happiest people on earth?" These were the four prize winning answers:
- A craftman or artist whistling over a job well done.

- A little child building sand castles.

- A mother, after a busy day, bathing her baby.

_ A doctor who has finished a difficult and dangerous operation and saved a human life.

No millionaires among these, one notices. No kings or tycoons. Wealth and position, no matter how the world strives for them are not the things most people --in their wisdom, we might add-- consider the essential quality of happiness.


No comments: