Monday, October 4, 2010

Eat Play Knit

Thank you Sharon  
for coming up with the perfect title for Woven Art's First ever retreat.  25 fiber-lous folks gathered together on the shores of Lake Macatawa, at Rosewood Pointe Resort this past weekend.
I didn't take any pictures worth putting up on line - my paparazzi skills not being up to snuff. But I know that Meg did, and Erica did.  Maybe they'll put some pics up soon.

I wish I could tell you how much I enjoyed this trip.  I love to entertain, and rarely get to do so.  I spent most of Saturday morning cooking (breakfast was enabled by Michelle ) two kinds of Chili. It was my intention to present new food about every three to four hours.  Home made banana bread, blueberry breakfast cake (thanks Meg!), Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oatmeal scotchies,  and beverages a'plenty.  It really wasn't much work at all - every one pitched in. We enjoyed the royal treatment at Boatwerks Restaurant on Saturday night. The food and staff were stellar.

Sarah taught an eye opening workshop on Gauge Friday night, and she was back at it Saturday morning with Double Knitting. Jill Bigelow Suttell taught two workshops: From flat to round - how to convert flat knitting patterns to knitting in the round, and Knitting shapes. Both of these workshops pulled heavily from the genius of Barbara Walker.  In fact Barbara Walker shared the spotlight this weekend with Elizabeth Zimmerman.  Each knitter received a really, seriously, cute goody bag with supplies for many of the workshops (Thank you  Erica and Kollage for the Fantastic  yarn and the Square needles!!), and a copy of Elizabeth Zimmerman's The Knitter's Almanac. Meg led a workshop on mitered mittens, including the scary part where you clip out some threads for the thumb. On Sunday morning, when everyone was truly filled up with information, I led a short introduction to EZ's Ganomy hat.  I do hope to see my friends kept warm this winter in their hats and mittens. 
When we weren't knitting or eating we played Bananagrams, or Apples to Apples.  I laughed til I hurt.
And today I plunked down the deposit for next year. Sept 30/Oct 1-2.  I am so excited!

No comments: