Monday, June 8, 2009

Now for some knitting

Did you think that in my enthusiasm for weaving, I had stopped knitting? Au contraire!
Recently I took a little trip, and wanted a little project to take along.  Not something I had to knit for a class, or for a shop model, or for a present. But just for fun.  There was this yarn, a fingering weight kona superwash that I've loved since the day I rinsed it out. I knew it needed to become socks. I waited for someone else to scoop it up (well, a couple of days anyway). No one did! So, it became mine. Then I searched high and low for the *perfect* pattern.  After many books, and much searching I concluded that Grumerina's Jaywalker was the exact right fit.  But, because of the size of the yarn, I changed needle size to 0. You might be able to tell from the picture that I am using two circular needles instead of the suggested double points.  I had to fiddle with the pattern a bit, because Grumperina specifies how many stitches there would be on each double point, like many sock patterns do.  About 30 seconds of thinking, and the translation to circs was complete. 


Don'tcha love how the color works with the pattern? That little flash of white seems to fall at just the right spot. 

My other project on needles (hmm that implies only two. Maybe I am falling off a bit*) is cardigan pattern I am writing.  Pictured below  are the bottom and front edges.  It is knit from the top down, and I am almost done with the body. Soon, I can go on to the sleeves.  I have one test knitter knitting along, so I need to stay ahead of her. But I am still a newbie at this pattern writing business, and I need to knit it myself to see how it works out, before I can let others at it.  I am in awe of the knitwear designers who work it all out on paper, and send it off to the test knitters, confident ( and right about it too!) that a sweater will result.  Maybe someday, sigh. 
In case you are wondering, the cardigan yarn is hand dyed (Woven Art) Monty 3/9's.  Delicious!

The rain today caused me to drop everything, including dinner plans, to go to Woven Art to move looms, and cover drains.  One more storm is expected tonight - but at the moment the sun is shining, and the sky is blue, making me feel a little silly. 

*Not true. I just remembered another pair of socks. 

3 comments:

Ragnar said...

Don't forget! You have patterns available for free and for sale on Ravelry!

Nancy McRay said...

Thanks Ragnar!
Yes - there is a FREE hat pattern on Ravelry - called "Fit As You Go" and also a cute and easy Top Down T shirt for sale. The T-shirt has a fun and different neckline.

Ava said...

Yes, I just wrote a few words about developing patterns without knitting. I have a few questions for you and Melissa about being in business. I'll send them tonight.