Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Big Hairy Spider

This morning I opened the dishwasher. It had just finished - the dishes were still hot - and there was a SPIDER inside.  It was about the size of a dime - but chunky. He, or She was jet black, with a white spot on the butt.  Anyone out there know what kind of spider that could be?  I couldn't kill it. This is not because of any sympathy toward spiders, but because it was very scary looking, and I was barefoot.  I trapped it under a glass bowl, slide a Comcast advertisement under it, and tossed it all into the yard.  The bowl is still out there. 


I'll tell you about TNNA tomorrow. 

6 comments:

Ewe-niss said...

I did a quick web search and the type that kept showing up was a 'Bold Jumper'
"This is an adult male Phidippus audax. Phidippus are harmless to you and your pets and won't bite. They are very beneficial little creatures as they eat many different kinds of insects around the house."

Ick.

Nancy McRay said...

Thanks. Now I feel safe retrieving my bowl.

Ava said...

spider fur - wonder how it spins?

Tamara said...

Ah, a woman after my own heart. Exactly the way that I dispose of them -- complete with the bowl toss!

Priscilla said...

I found sources that said it *will* bit if cornered or threatened. But usually the bites are small and harmless, and go away within a few days. Unless you are allergic to them, which could result from repeated bites over time, much like allergies to bees.

I throw them out of the house, too! unless they're sneaky like the one in my house earlier today.

Ragnar said...

What, no picture for the blog?