Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rigid Heddle Weaving's got my blog

I am drumming up interest for my "Scarf in a Day" workshop that I am scheduled to teach at TNNA in June. For those of you who don't know, TNNA stands for The National Needlework Association, and it has a big convention in Columbus, Ohio at the beginning of every Summer. This is where shop owner's go to buy much of their yarn, take business and technique classes, and network. It is a lot of fun, and a lot of work.

Here is a picture of Meg modeling the project I plan to teach to other shop owners. The scarf really can be made, start to finish, warp to fringe, in under 6 hours. Weaving has brought my customers lots of excitement. I have been teaching weaving for about 20 years, and never have I seen the interest this strong.

For those of you who are not TNNA members, but would like to learn Rigid Heddle weaving anyway, I will have another class beginning in May. Check here for details.



In related news, Woven Art will be hosting Jane Patrick this weekend for a workshop on weaving with 2 heddles on the Rigid Heddle loom. Get to know Jane by visiting her blog.
My head is already spinning with the possibilities. There is so much out there now specifically related to rigid heddle weaving. For fun visit askthebellwether, and search for rigid heddle weaving, right after you ramble around her blog for awhile - there is a lot there to see.

Not all weaving is done with a Rigid Heddle, but in all weaving comes a moment of truth. Truly a frightening moment for even the most experienced weaver. It is the time when the proof of hours of work will be seen. The moment when you know if it is good, or not so good. That is the moment of cutting off.

And, it's good!
Pictured above you see a detail of Brenda's beautiful shawl. It is made with hand dyed, and natural Kona Sport. The weave structure is a complex twill from the 8 Harness Book of Patterns. The shawl is about 20 inches wide, and 72 inches long, not including fringe. Brenda is tall, and wrapped in this shawl she looks royal.

1 comment:

Amelia, belle of The Bellwether said...

Rigid Heddle weaving is an absolute blast :-) your scarf is lovely. What I enjoy most about it, is that I can take it into the sitting room when the family gathers to watch an evening video and join in the camraderie while weaving -- social weaving, what a concept, as usually it's a pretty isolated activity on my bigger loom.