Friday, January 2, 2009

Kristin's Shawl


I needed a project that would span the time of my middle daughter's travels to Central America. She boarded a plane bound for Guatemala in early September. I began to spin. I made singles in a turquoise, and a single ply in a yellow green to orange. I plyed them together with micro stainless steel from Habu. All this took about three months. And then, I pondered what to do with the yarn. I looked at knitting patterns. I looked at Crochet ideas. Finally I knew it had to be woven. I choose a light variegated hand dyed purple for the warp. Using a pattern from A Weaver's Book of 8-shaft Patterns on page 84. I threaded one third in a point twill, the middle third in a straight draw, and the final third in the same point twill on an 8 harness loom. I wove it using two treadling combinations. The darker purple stripes are a Jojoland silk and cashmere blend. I wanted to be sure the shawl would have enough length. I only had 4 ounces of the handspun. Yes the stuff that took 3 months to spin, and only 4 ounces. The finished length, after washing is about 75". The width is 15 inches.




I am very happy with how it turned out. It has a lovely hand and nice drape. It is the perfect weight for the warmer climate my daughter seems to like. I hope she wears it often and in good health. My reward - I get to see it wrapped around her in just a few days! The duration of the project was just right.

1 comment:

Ragnar said...

I need to build that lightbox for the shop. The colors in that shawl are SO much more amazing in person. Ah well. Add it to the "to do" list eh?

Don't worry about the shop while you're on vacation, we'll take GOOD care of it. (said in a slightly sinister voice.)