Tuesday, October 7, 2008

October Fun


We had a rare family outing with two of our daughters this past weekend.  Family fun is a little different now that they are of legal drinking age! First we went to October Fest, where I saw some guys in big gray pointy felted hats.  I knew I needed one. Right away.  Between beers and brats I began to think about how I would go about it.  We went to a play, put on by Peppermint Creek Theater, which was a very twisty version of what might have happened to the Peanuts Gang as they grew into teenagers.  Though the play had some very surprising moments, as soon as it was over I started to think about pointy felted hats again. Then we went to the Unicorn Bar, and listened to some great blues by School Boys.  Still couldn't get the hat out of mind. So, the next day, I went into the shop
and made this:

This is a close up.  If you want the pattern, drop me an e-mail.


4 comments:

Deborah said...

I LOVE this pattern. I'd love to get a copy of it, but I can't find out how to email you.

Deborah said...

I LOVE this hat. I'd love to get a copy of the pattern but I can't find your email anywhere on your blog.

Nancy McRay said...

Deb,
Couldn't e-mail you either! So, here it is:


Crocheted Witch Hat
size medium and large.
Medium
Materials:
1 skein Galway black (2 for large)
1 skein Till Tomas beaded wool - choc cherries
stitch marker
Size k Crochet hook

Chain 2
Rnd 1: 4 sc in 2nd chain from hook
Place marker at beginning of round, move it up one row each round.
2 sc in each stitch - 8 sc

SC in each stitch around - twice

*Sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch, repeat from * 4 times.

Sc in each stitch for two rounds.
Add Tilli Tomas yarn. now increase every 4 stitches evenly every other round, keeping the increase rounds in Galway, the regular rounds in Tilli Tomas, do this until you have 84 stitches. Drop Tilli Tomas yarn.

Using only Galway, and working in front loops only, increase 12 stitches every other round. Repeat until you run out of Galway, add in remaining Tilli Tomas yarns, finish off after two rows.

Weave in all ends,

Felt in washer on the hot/cold rinse cycle with detergent and other peices of clothing ( I use an old pair of sneakers and a bath room rug). Run on shortest cycle. Throw in dryer for additional felting if desired.

Deborah said...

Thank you so much. Its beautiful!