Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Artist Co-op

I have been working on a project. Not really a secret project, but one I haven't talked about too much until now. There is space next to my shop that would be ideal for artist studios, with a small gallery in the front, and a big window out to the sidewalk. I mentioned this to the City of East Lansing, and to my landlord. All agree, it would be great to have artists working there, and selling their work. so, we are all working together to make it happen. My landlord even is going one step better, and will be providing outdoor work and sculpture garden space.

There will be room in the building for 6 artist studios. The rent will be very affordable, with subsidies available for artists that meet income requirements. There will also be a second tier membership available for those who are actively waiting for studio space, or who want to be involved, but don't need working space. This number will also be limited to about 6 additional artists.

My role is to get artists, and to provide some management for the co-op, until it gets off the ground. The goal is for the co-op to be self governing and self sufficient as soon as possible. If you are an artist and would like to see the space, please call Woven Art to set an appointment. 517-203-4467. If you know of any artists that might be interested, please pass this on!

No comments: