Friday, July 20, 2007

It is good to have wise friends

My Mom use to braid rugs. She would take fabric - I think mostly wool, and cut them into strips, braid the strips together and coil them in a circle, and sew them together. She made several. Or so I thought. I was a kid, and wasn't paying close attention. But they covered our family room floor, and also under our kitchen table. I have no idea where those rugs are now.

Anyway, I wouldn't even have thought about that except that I was visiting Three Pines Gallery in Cross Village. My friend Joann was talking about making braided rugs from roving. That was a new idea to me. So I stashed the idea in a corner way in the back of my mind.

A few weeks later, I had a roving dye disaster. The dye didn't take, for some crazy reason. I used procion on wool. That should work. I put in all kinds of vinegar. I cooked it all day, the dye still didn't take. I went on with my day, forgetting about the roving simmering away, and not soaking up color. So, parts of it were felty and none of it the color I wanted. Now I am all about loving the color you get, and I did love the muted rust and purples. Still, I couldn't foist this roving off on spinners, other than Daughter and Ragnar. They aren't as fussy as they seem, and they won't turn down free.
But the braided rug from roving idea resurfaced. It was just waiting for the right supplies to come along I guess. I broke the roving into three really long pieces and began to braid and coil and sew. Luckily Ragnar appeared, looked askance, asked how I planned to felt it. I plan to just toss it in the washing machine and then go find some wine - the same way I felt everything. This is when the wise one suggested that I start out with a test one - much smaller - like the size of a trivet.

So, here it is. A wool braided trivet - before felting. It is currently 7 inches in diameter. I hope it doesn't shrink much. I really just want it to full a bit. Become a little more solid.

I think all of this has everything to do with AFPAS. (Almost Finished Project Anxiety Syndrom). I don't know if anyone else suffers from this - but the closer I get to the end of a project, the more I avoid it. I'll play with anything else. I'll pull out the pattern books, and wander around the shop aimlessly twisting yarns together around my finger. I am almost done with a sweater. I have the back, one front, and 3/4 of the other front done on a sweater intended as a gift due in two weeks time. There are no sleeves, but there is a ruffled edge around nearly everything. It is the Rowan Tulip Sweater from magazine #40. I changed the yarn to panda wool, that I dyed, and then had to change the gauge. The fabric is lovely. Sort of green with lavender flashes. However, I am frightened to death that it won't fit her. Or that she won't love it. Or that she'll read my blog, and that'll blow any semblance of surprise.

2 comments:

Pat DeLeeuw said...

Oh my goodness, you mean there really is a syndrome -AFPAS??!! I am so relieved that not only is there a syndrome, but that someone who really knows what they are doing when it comes to textiles has it. I am not alone. I am a terrible finisher-and yet whenever I actually do finish something I think, Wow, that wasn't so bad now was it! My second grade teacher even told my mom that while I was a veritable genius(yeah right),page 2 of my work was never quite complete. Page 1 was a thing of beauty-just not a strong finisher. Now I have a name for my malady-so to all you knitters who finish one project before starting a new project I say, I have a syndrome that I share with the famous Nancy M. so leave us be.

Kristin said...

if you didn't drop so many hints on the blog, you could talk about the project without the recipient becoming suspicious.

It will be beautiful, it will fit, she will love it.

See you in a week and a half!