Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Deidra and the little lambs

I didn't stay in the hammock for long! Deidra and I took a field trip to Stonehedge Fiber Mill just outside of Ellsworth Michigan. It is one of the few places in Michigan that processes fiber and makes their own yarns. Our first stop of course was in the yarn shop. Here is Deidra, and a pair of lambs just outside the shop. Inside was a small selection of wonderful yarns. Camel, Alpaca, Lama, and Merino and Finnand more! There were yarns of various weights and colors, as well as spinning fibers.

So, what did I do on vacation? I bought yarn for the shop! I got us some worsted weight superwash merino, and several of their Shepard Wool colors. I also got some Finn roving, and some Merino roving. I plan to share these with the spinners at Third Sunday Spin-in. If you are in town on Sunday, please come spin with us - I would love to know what you think of these rovings.
I love these yarns and fibers -very soft, and squishy, and it makes me happy that it is made in Michigan. I am a big believer in buying locally, or at least as locally as possible.

Here are a few more pictures:

Diedra going into the washing and carding room:







Alpaca being washed and sorted.

To the right is a spinning machine with some colored rovings. This color blend turns into a nice berry purple, one of the ones I chose for the shop.




And last, but certainly not least, a cutie pie with a little lamb:




Deidra was marveling at how the lamb stayed so contendedly next to the child. And her Grandma said "That"s because every time the lamb gets up, she pushes it back down!"

After visiting the fiber mill we went to Boyne City for lunch. I picked up a couple of chop sticks at a local shop, took them to the hardware store, where one of their guys (I love hardware store guys!!) fitted them with a washer, a stopper and a hook. Voila! Drop spindles. I spent the rest of the week plying Finn with Merino, and making lovely yarn. There is much, much more to the story of our day in Boyne City - but you'll have to ask when you see me next. I want to see your face when I tell you about the ring, the park and the video tape!

No comments: